Frequently asked questions:
First, let’s discuss why you need a soy-based, non- dairy food product. Here are some of the more important reasons why.
- 1. Health food category is growing by double digit percentages each year.
- 2. Dairy free and soy-based foods are part of that category, and therefore appeal to a large and growing consumer audience.
- 3. Tofutti soy-based, dairy free foods are unique, value added, upscale specialty foods.
- 4. Tofutti is an excellent tasting, premium, one-of-a kind healthful alternative category product.
- 1. Dairy Free-Lactose Intolerance
- a. Over 10 million people in the UK - one out of six are allergic to dairy, ranging from mild symptoms to life threatening allergy.
- b. Target ethnic groups-African and Asian, Hispanics and Jews.
- c. Lactose intolerance tends to increase with age, affecting the fastest growing segment of our society – up to 75% of the world adult population.
- d. Certain medical conditions, such as asthma, kidney dysfunction, and autism require dairy free diets.
- 2. Cholesterol Free-Cardiovascular Disease
- a. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the UK.
- b. Over 50% of all adults in the UK have cholesterol levels considered too high.
- c. Reducing cholesterol in one’s diet reduces the chance of cardiovascular disease.
- 3. Soy Based Diet - Alleviates Other Medical Conditions
- a. Tofutti products are rich in soy protein.
- b. Diets rich in soy have been shown by medical studies to lessen the occurrence or alleviate the symptoms of osteoporosis, menopause, and certain types of cancers.
- c. Recent FDA approval of health claims for soy-based products.
- d. Consumer concerns over certain diseases associated with dairy.
C) Life Style
- 1. Kosher Parve-Religious Dietary Laws
- a. Certain ethnic and religious groups, such as Jews, Muslims, and Seventh Day Adventists observe the Kosher dietary laws.
- b. Parve is the highest form of Kosher.
- c. Kosher indicates to most consumers a healthier, better quality product.
- 2.No Animal Products-Vegetarians or Veganism
- a. Those individuals who observe a vegetarian diet has been increasing dramatically every year.
- b. Because of concern over ethical or dietary issues, this consumer group stays away from dairy products.
- c . Vegetarians are a highly organized and vocal consumer group.
D) In conclusion, why Tofutti?
- 1. Product quality and taste
- 2. Quality control
- 3. Product durability
- 4. Product innovation
- 5. Company stability
- 6. Brand name recognition
- 7. Category leader
Today there is an increasing amount of information being revealed about the health benefits of soy and soy foods. Soy protein is known to lower blood cholesterol and reduce the rates of coronary heart disease, osteoporosis, cancer – breast, colon, and prostate – and fewer menopausal symptoms. Several components of soybeans, including protein, fibre, calcium, essential fatty acids, and isoflavones, offer the potential to promote health and prevent diseases. Genistein, an isoflavone found in high concentrations in soy foods, is thought to play a key role in many of the potential health benefits. The daily recommending dose of isoflavones (the active ingredient in soy) is 40 milligrams. This equals 3/4 cup tofu or 11/2 cups of soy milk.
All of our products are certified Kosher Parve, which means that none of our products ever contain any dairy whatsoever. This means no milk by products either, such as casein, whey, or skim milk powder. In order to make certain that there is no dairy in a product, always look for a Kosher Parve symbol. That symbol certifies that the product is completely dairy/casein free.
I know all Tofutti products are Kosher Parve, which means that they contain no dairy. However, I was told that some of your products are run on equipment that also runs dairy products. If this is so, how are your products dairy free?
Although we would wish it otherwise, the overall demand for totally dairy free products is not large enough to justify setting up complete production lines for dairy free products only. Most plants we use for manufacturing our products mainly produce dairy items. This is true for all companies who sell dairy free products, no matter who they are. In addition to the normal plant sterilization, cleaning, and testing procedures, we employ a kosher supervisory service, the Kof-K, to supervise the manufacturing of our products to ensure that they are completely dairy-free every time. The methodology and techniques they use to clean the equipment and supervise the production is the process called kosherization. Kosher Parve means that there are no milk (or meat) derivatives in our products. It also means that the equipment used to produce Tofutti is either dedicated to non-dairy products or has gone through the rigorous sanitation and cleaning requirements of kosherizaton. In the typical plant, the equipment is washed and sanitized with a caustic rinse and an acid rinse. The caustic rinse is done with water at boiling temperature (212 degrees Fahrenheit). This is followed by a boil-out with pure water. There are several other components to the sanitation, but they are not listed as they do not affect the kosher status. A rabbinical supervisor is present to independently verify that these procedures are being adhered to and to review logbooks and digital records to verify that these procedures are followed.
I notice you use lactic acid in some of your products, like your Creamy Smooth Non Dairy Cream Cheese. I thought lactic acid is dairy. If it is, how can you say you are dairy free?
The lactic acid we use is of vegetable origin, not dairy. It is produced from microbial fermentation of certain vegetables and other ingredients. It simply simulates the functionality of regular lactic acid. We always use “non- dairy” or “vegetable” before the words lactic acid to let consumers know that is where the ingredient comes from.
Yes – all the Tofutti Products distributed by Triano Brands in Europe are totally vegan.
The mono and diglycerides we use comes from vegetables, never from animals. Mono and diglycerides are used as a carrier in some of the ingredients that we use in our products. This is true of virtually all other similar products that use gums and stabilizers as we do. The amount in the finished product is miniscule and we never directly add any into our product.
None of our non-dairy frozen desserts or cheese products contain eggs or egg whites.
All lecithin used in our products is derived from soy. We could not be kosher parve if it came from animals. If you see a kosher parve symbol, the lecithin used in the product will always be from a vegetable, typically soy. If you do not see that symbol, it is always wise to ask, just to be sure.
The maltodextrin we use comes from corn. It is not from wheat.
Yes - All of our products use non-GMO soy protein.
This is a common question for people with kidney dysfunction, since both potassium and phosphorus are known to aggravate kidney disorders. Due to the fact our products are totally dairy free, most are usually not a significant source of potassium and phosphorus. On some of our newer products we do declare potassium and phosphorus values, although we are not required to do so. Typically, our packaging will state, "Not a significant source of Vitamins A, C, iron, calcium, potassium, or phosphorus." "Not significant" is typically defined as less than 2% of the daily requirements. In most of our products, potassium and phosphorus are usually just several milligrams per serving, with the potassium level slightly higher than the phosphorus level. Although most medical professionals recommend our products for their dialysis patients, we advise them that the salt content can vary from product to product, and in some cases can be fairly substantial. Of course, the actual sodium value for each product is always listed on the package. As with any medical condition, please check with a medical professional before using our products.
How come Tofutti products contain very little calcium? Does the company have any plans to introduce calcium enriched products?
Because they never contain dairy ingredients, Tofutti products are never a significant source of calcium. We currently have no plans to introduce any products with enriched calcium at this time. We are currently concentrating on addressing more frequently requested health related issues that consumers contact us with. Additionally, many people use our products because they cannot have calcium in their diets, specifically individuals with kidney or urinary tract conditions. A final factor is that adding a mineral to a product that is not naturally in the product typically creates flavor and taste issues. Such is the case with calcium. If it is necessary for you to have calcium in your diet, please consider using calcium supplements.
Cholesterol is made of fatty substances known as lipids and includes both high and low density lipoproteins (HDL and LDL). The body’s cholesterol comes from dietary sources and production by the liver. Elevated cholesterol levels are associated with an increased risk of coronary artery and blood vessel disease. HDL is a combination of a lipid (fat) and protein and is considered to be the “good cholesterol”. It helps to clear excess cholesterol from the body. High HDL levels are associated with a lower risk of coronary artery disease. Exercise is thought to help raise the HDL level, while lowering the LDL, or “bad cholesterol”. The CHOL/HDL Cholesterol Ratio is a simple calculation of the total cholesterol divided by the HDL. It is used to assess the risk of coronary artery disease. Lower ratio values are associated with a lower risk of coronary artery disease.